For a woman Less than 8 weeks 0 days (56 days) pregnant
- The medication abortion has limited availability and unfortunately, not all women requesting this specific procedure will be able to book an appointment.
- The medication abortion is NOT the abortion pill known as RU-486 or Mifeprex. This abortion method is currently not available at this clinic.
- The medication abortion can only be booked by calling the clinic. It CANNOT be booked online. Please call 780-484-1124 to book or inquire.
- The medication abortion will take a minimum of 1 week with 2 appointments or may take as long as 3 weeks and 4 appointments to complete.
There are certain criteria for when the medication abortion is appropriate and most likely to be successful. Some of the criteria are as follows.
A woman must:
- Be less than 8 weeks 0 days (56 days) pregnant
- Not be breastfeeding
- Be certain about terminating her pregnancy
- Live within 1 hour of the clinic
- Return for all necessary appointments to complete the abortion procedure
- Agree to the surgical abortion if the medication abortion is not successful
- Be screened to rule out certain medical conditions that make the medical abortion unsuitable
- Stop taking Folic Acid and eating foods that contain Folic Acid once you book the appointment.
- Be comfortable with possible medication side effects, inserting pills into your vagina and with the bleeding and cramping you will have.
Medication Abortion Process
- A vaginal ultrasound will be done to confirm and date the pregnancy. If the ultrasound confirms the pregnancy to be under 8 weeks (56 days) you can proceed with the medication abortion.
- A medication called Methotrexate will then be given to take orally. This medication will stop the growth of the pregnancy and once it is taken you CANNOT change your mind and you must complete the abortion process. Most women do not experience side effects from the Methotrexate but some potential side effects can be: nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, fever and chills.
- You will then be given medication to take home and instructions about what you will need to do and what to expect, and how to reach a clinic nurse if necessary.
- You will insert Misoprostol (Cytotec) pills into your vagina.
- This will cause uterine contractions which will help to expel the pregnancy tissue.
- It can take 30 minutes to 4 hours for the cramping and bleeding to begin.
- The amount of bleeding and cramping can vary from woman to woman.
- You will insert a second dose of the Misoprostol (Cytotec) to ensure all of the tissue passes.
- Some women have no bleeding after the second dose and some do.
- You will return to the clinic and have another vaginal ultrasound to ensure all the tissue has passed.
- If the abortion is not complete you will insert the Misoprostol (Cytotec) again and return for another ultrasound in one week.